Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Curtis

I'm sorry I don't have a picture, but I wanted to blog about a friend of mine (and my husband's) today.

Sometimes I get bogged down thinking about all the things I want and don't have, and all the things I think my life should be or could have been. The fact that Jonathan and I are preparing to go to the temple doesn't help, Satan has really been at work in my life lately. But then Jonathan started working in the tire shop at WalMart (for the winter) and he made a new friend, Curtis. Curtis is a really nice, sincere, friendly, capable, smart and innocent guy. He has some issues in his life right now, which I won't explain because that's not my story to tell, but after Jonathan got to know him, it became evident that Curtis needed some help. So Jonathan, being the service-oriented guy that he is (and I absolutely love that about him), decided that we needed to help Curtis and I'm so glad that we did. Having Curtis in our lives has definitely helped me to gain a greater perspective of my life. I found myself counting my many blessings as I learned more and more about Curtis and his situation. I realized that I have way more than I need and it doesn't matter if I don't have a brand new kitchen, and it doesn't matter if I can't go clothes shopping every weekend and it doesn't matter if sometimes my husband's bad habits get on my nerves because at least I have a house and at least I have a closet full of last season's clothes and at least I have a husband who loves me and wants to spend time with me. There are a lot of people out there who would give anything to have what Jonathan and I have (material & immaterial) and I need to appreciate that.

Thanks, Curtis, for teaching me a much needed lesson about life. And thank you, Heavenly Father, for blessing me with so much.

No comments: