Friday, May 02, 2008

My Dogs

I never grew up with dogs, we always had cats. My dad hated cats so when we would bring home kittens we would let him name them in an attempt to make him feel better about having the cats around the house. The cats were never supposed to be in the house since dad is "allergic", but we would always sneak them inside and sleep with them. When I was about 15 my brother decided to get a puppy, then somehow he became homeless and couldn't have a dog living in a car/trailer with him so my dad started taking care of the dog. This dog was named Tigger and all I really remember about him was that he could jump so high, I swear he could have jumped over the 6 foot fence if he wanted. I think the dog never got all the attention he needed and one day he ran away and was picked up by Animal Control. I don't know why I never connected with this dog, probably because he wasn't a puppy by the time he came to live with us and I think part of me was afraid of him.

Jonathan always had dogs growing up. He knows a lot about dogs and has had many different breeds. A few months after we got married he started talking about getting a dog. I wasn't sure about the idea, I didn't know how that would affect our relationship or our house. I didn't know what to expect and I was fighting the idea. I lost the fight when our sister-in-law's aunt decided to gift Jonathan with a puppy because he had been so helpful to her sister (our sister-in-law's mother) when she moved into her fixer upper house. So one night we went over to Spencer & Savannah's house and picked up our puppy. It was August but at night it was starting to get a little chilly. I remember Savannah had the puppy in the front pocket of her sweatshirt, that's how tiny Kookie was. And when Savannah handed her to me and she was SO tiny, I just melted. It didn't take long for me to fall in love with the little pup, just 3 pounds when we got her, and realize that I am totally a dog person. Kookie, being a dachshund and all, is not a large dog and I knew she couldn't really "attack" me and that helped me get over my fears. After a few months of having one dog Jonathan wasn't satisfied. He was longing for a dog he could really play with, wrestle with, and fight with. So he did some searching on the internet and found some reasonably priced Boxer puppies. He called me up at work one afternoon and asked me if I wanted to go to Eagle Mountain after work. I asked why and he said because he wanted to look at some puppies. I was kind of surprised but decided we could go and "just look" at the pups. The second Jonathan set eyes on the puppies he wanted one. So we left that night with a boxer pup. Our other dog came to us about a year later when we decided to breed Kookie with Jonathan's parent's dachshund. We had always wanted a black dachshund because we loved the look of them. In Kookie's first litter her very first pup was a black dachshund. We knew immediately that we were going to keep him.

That's the story of our three dogs, Kookie, Tito and Kimo. I really am a dog person, I prefer dogs to cats now any day. They are just so much more personable than cats, they are always excited to see you. You never feel lonely with a dog around and no matter what they always forgive you.

I love our dogs, aren't they sweet?


No comments: