Friday, May 23, 2008

Memories

Jonathan and I are going to be sealed in July (most likely) and that's SO exciting. To know that I can live with my perfect husband for eternity is such a comfort. I can't wait! This has brought on so many thoughts lately. I was remembering our wedding and our honeymoon. We went to Swan Valley, Idaho - one of the more popular honeymoon locations. It was nice and secluded, we had our own little cabin with a kitchenette and we were an hour or so from Jackson Hole - what more could you want? It was great!



The most memorable part of the trip, I think, is when Jonathan got his very first traffic ticket. Ever. It was funny because we were on our way to Jackson Hole and driving through some beautiful forests. We saw a man and his son walking along the side of the road. Jonathan is so observant that he knew right away that they were having car troubles - don't ask me how, maybe he saw their broken-down vehicle before we actually came upon them, or maybe they were carrying a gas can, I can't remember. Anyway, we decided to give them a ride to a gas station so they could get some help. They hopped in the back seat and told us how they had been hunting for morel mushrooms, apparently they grow at the base of these trees in rainy weather and that day was the perfect time to go pick them. Anyway, we were just chatting and not paying serious attention to the speed limit because it was a highway in a forest, how often could the speed limit change? Then it happened, there were flashing lights and a short siren. Jonathan was so upset, I could tell, but we had these strangers in our car so he couldn't swear or anything - not that he would have. The strangers just added to the embarrasment, but they were strangers, what did they care? So the officer explained that the speed limit dropped 10 miles about 3 miles back because of an upcoming town - we were still in the woods, how did we know there was an upcoming town? Nevertheless, we were caught speeding. He gave Jonathan his first ever traffic citation, explaining that he could probably go to traffic school, and we were back on the road. We dropped the strangers off at the gas station which wasn't far away and continued on toward Jackson Hole, paying attention to every speed limit sign on the way. After we got home I "helped" Jonathan with the online traffic school class, so the ticket didn't go on his driving record, but I think he's still upset about it. I guess that's what you get for picking up stranded strangers while on your honeymoon. Actually, I can't think of a single trip we've taken where we haven't helped someone stranded on the side of the road, what a great husband I have!

3 comments:

Nama said...

i'm so excited for you, karen! how wonderful!

Nancy said...

Yeah! I am so happy for you guys! Where have you been? What happened with Biggest Loser? I thought for sure you would call and remind me, I certainly don't have a reason to remember. We should still do the weigh in, even though Darren left and Grant's the only other person who would have to pay, or does he? Anyways call me! And Yay! for you guys!

Nama said...

nancy, i didn't know you had a blog! but i cannot read it because it's private. you should invite me. email me at my work email, & i'll send you my gmail address....please? :)